Sunday, July 22, 2007

2007.16.80 - Thetis Lake Paddle Fun Day

We've had four days of cloudy and rainy days no doubt due to my having four days off. I'm sure when I go back to work on Tuesday, the sun will be shining and it will be a warm and wonderful day. But today was cloudy though the rain held off, so we're off to Thetis Lake.
IMGP0828

Bernie make fire....and sausages....
IMGP0831

...and Alison, Paula and Louise enjoy breakfast.
IMGP0832

The distraction of a hot breakfast on the beach allowed me a chance to get on the water first. (I've never been distracted by food. Really.)
IMGP0834

As we headed out, there were a lot of swimmers in the water. "It's sad," Bernie noted, "that some people just can't afford kayaks."
IMGP0837

We found some lilies.
Lily
Lily

We had a nice quiet paddle around the lake.
IMGP0853
Across the Lake
IMGP0864
...floatin'...

Bernie thought he saw a turtle swimming underwater. I saw a glimpse of a mink or an otter. We also saw some turtles on the same log that we did last year. But this time, the turtles scrambled into the water long before we got within camera range. We also fished a few pop and beer cans out of the water, but I found the strangest item of all under the water: a purse with a rock in it. Clearly someone didn't want it found, and a trip to the local police to turn it in after our paddle was added to the agenda.
IMGP0869

When we got back to shore, we were met by the Keetley Krew: Leslie, Darren, Thomas and Jeffrey.
IMGP0870

Leslie decided to embark on her own personal Paddlefest. Here, she tries Louise's boat.
IMGP0880

Meanwhile, Jeffrey found a way to get rid of his brother. And Bernie.
IMGP0881

Later, Jeffrey got rid of his body and became just a floating head.
IMGP0884

Then Leslie headed out in Bernie's boat....
IMGP0892

....and then she tried Alison's boat. She tried every boat on the beach, including some that didn't belong to us. But I won't include any pictures of that -- I don't want to embarrass her.
IMGP0895

She would have tried Paula's boat, but Paula was practicing a two-person rescue with me.
IMGP0909

Another fun and wet day.
IMGP0914

My photos are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment